Especially in recent months, organizations have had to rethink and retool their workspaces for the layout of today’s work environments. With the majority of employees working remotely in in different places, businesses have had to provide portable and flexible solutions to allow employees to remain productive, connect to business-critical resources, and also, think about security. In all of this, employees needed to work without any problem either remotely or from the office.
Praim has a number of solutions that allow your business to effectively empower employees to have what they need no matter where they are located, what network they are coming from or if they are on a business-issued or even personal device. Let’s take a closer look at Praim ThinOX4PC that allows organizations to easily work with employees to provide the connectivity and applications they need for productivity during remote work.
Praim ThinOX4PC Overview
In case you are not familiar with Praim ThinOX4PC, it is a solution that allows easily turning your PC, notebook, or third-party thin clients into a secure managed thin client platform. With ThinOX4PC, you can install the solution permanently on internal disk, or you can run ThinOX4PC via a live USB key. Running ThinOX4PC from a live USB key allows leaving the installed operating system and configuration intact on the internal disk while booting the platform solely from the USB environment.
Praim gives you the possibility to also use a high-quality ready-to-use USB with ThinOX4PC USB, without the need to pre-configure it from the IT Manager, to allow your employees to work in a smooth way from wherever they are.
This means that even if an employee is using a personal laptop, it can be securely transformed into a hardened, efficient thin client platform and the user can work with the same user experience he is used to in his office. What are the features and capabilities that ThinOX4PC provides?
- Cybersecurity friendly – Since the solution can be booted from a live USB disk outside of the installed operating system found on the PC or notebook, it is free of any potential security risks that exist on the internal hard drive.
- Disk write protection – With ThinOX4PC, disk write protection can be enabled so the state of the ThinOX4PC environment remains pristine throughout. No changes can be permanently written.
- USB mass storage lock – lock USB mass storage devices for additional security
- Fully centralized management and support – With ThinMan Server in the mix, your organization can manage and administer the ThinOX4PC environment from a centralized management plane, and provide support to the end user from there.
- Configuration & firmware updates – Using the centralized management enabled by ThinMan, organizations can coordinate fully managed and centralized firmware updates and configuration changes across the entire environment.
- Wake on LAN – Ability to wake devices using the WOL feature
- Scheduled activities – Schedule activities using the centralized management capabilities of ThinMan Server.
- Unified environment – Bring all thin client devices under the same umbrella of management and configuration policies.
- One OS for practically any device – ThinOX4PC provides the ability to have the same OS for dissimilar devices. Across different laptop, notebook, PC vendors, ThinOX4PC allows standardizing the environment for remote workers.
- Fully managed by ThinMan – ThinMan provides full manageability and configuration of your entire ThinOX estate
- Extended hardware life – Instead of having to purchase new thin client devices or hardware for employees to use for remote access, with ThinOX4PC, even legacy hardware can be used for effective thin client and remote access
Portability and Flexibility with ThinOX4PC
Using Praim ThinOX provides extremely powerful portability and flexibility for end users. With the Praim ThinOX4PC platform, the specific hardware element of the business productivity equation is greatly minimized if not eliminated. No longer do employees have to have a specific device model or configuration shipped to their remote location from corporate. Additionally, corporate issued hardware is no longer required.
With ThinOX4PC, any PC, notebook, or laptop device, regardless of the current operating system configuration can be used to connect to the corporate environment. Once booted from the ThinOX4PC USB key, the device becomes a sanctioned thin client capable of connecting to the corporate virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) environment.
This can be also the only software solution provided to each employee to take it with them wherever it is run on the office hardware (where, also, the admin is not forced to install a new operating system) or from home from, the personal device. This opens up a wide range of possibilities for flexible remote work. Employees no longer have to carry around a specific set of hardware if working from different remote locations. They may boot from the ThinOX4PC USB key at home on their personal desktop or access the environment from a personal laptop while on the go. All the while, the existing operating system, applications, and other personal data that exist on their personal devices are left untouched.
Let’s take a closer look at two key areas that enable ThinOX to provide both portability and flexibility:
- Easy configuration workflow
- Simplified network requirements
Easy Configuration Workflow
Praim has engineered the ThinOX4PC secure desktop solution so that it is not only a portable, flexible, and secure solution for which employees can access the corporate environment, the configuration workflow is simple. You might envision that a remote employee would have a lot of complicated configuration to enter to setup their device for connecting to corporate VDI infrastructure.
However, with ThinOX4PC, there are two simple configuration wizards that allow employees to quickly get up and running, accessing their Praim-driven thin client environment. What are these?
- ThinMan Server address (the Praim management suite)
- Wireless configuration wizard
When the ThinOX4PC environment boots on the employee’s device, the ThinOX4PC configuration wizard takes over and drives the configuration workflow. This makes it very quick and easy to get the remote device configured and operational. Below is the initial wizard to configure the device for ThinMan Server connectivity as well as customizing environment configuration such as the keyboard layout.
Pointing the device to the ThinMan Server is an important first step to setup the ThinOX4PC environment. Once the device is pointed to the ThinMan Server, the device is automatically onboarded into ThinMan for centralized management, getting the proper configuration, and policies.
After setting the ThinMan Server address, if the device has a wireless network adapter, another wizard will launch allowing the user to configure the wireless network they want to connect to for Internet connectivity.
This makes it extremely easy for users to connect to wireless networks at various locations they may be working from.
Simplified Network Requirements
Central to the flexibility and portability of the ThinOX4PC solution is the simplified network architecture requirements released in ThinMan Server 8.0. With ThinMan Server 8.0 and higher, a new Web Socket Secure architecture allows remote workers to have much simpler network requirements for connecting to the Praim infrastructure in the cloud or main office.
The new network architecture design with ThinMan Server requires only TCP port 443. This means that from the client perspective, they simply need to have the normal outgoing network port open for connectivity to ThinMan Server. In most networks, port 443 is a commonly allowed outgoing port.
This means that remote workers, many of whom may not be technically savvy, are not left frustrated with trying to configure network ports to allow connectivity to non-standard ports for remote work connectivity. This also greatly reduces the support burden on the corporate IT helpdesk trying to troubleshoot connectivity issues for remote workers.
With the simplified network design and architecture requirements for ThinOX4PC and connectivity to ThinMan Server, organizations have the flexibility to house ThinMan either on-premises or in the cloud while allowing employees the flexibility to connect from any network over the standard Internet SSL port.
Today’s very unique remote employee connectivity requirements means that organizations have to engineer solutions that empower employees to be productive no matter where they are located. Praim’s ThinOX4PC solution provides both portability and flexibility to end users by allowing them to use their own PC, laptop, notebook, or other device and connect from any network.
ThinOX4PCUSB allows easily booting from a secure USB key while leaving the existing operating system intact on the internal hard drive. Once booted, Praim ThinOX4PC provides an easy configuration workflow to allow employees to enter the ThinMan Server address and easily get connected to either a wired or wireless network.
With only the common Internet port 443/SSL requirement for connectivity, network connectivity between the remote ThinOX4PC device and ThinMan Server can easily be established. This provides your organization with the flexibility of housing ThinMan on-premises or even in the cloud with only a very simple network configuration required.