In my tutor/teacher career, I have noticed that one of the main problems is that, in order to do even simple things with the PC, the user needs a very substantial basis of knowledge. For example, to do not so complicated tasks like surfing an internet page, starting simple software or reading the email, you still need to have a good understanding of what an operating system is like, how it works in a window environment, have some knowledge about the file system, etc.
With the advent of smartphones and their operating systems, however, this has been greatly simplified. Initially, for PC professionals, it seemed almost demeaning not to have all the desktop metaphor available. For less-experienced people, instead, the simplified environment, the metaphor of “one-on-one apps at a glance”, the fact that the data was available within the application and not on a file system, has enormously expanded the base of usage and increased their digital inclusion. We could compare this transition to the one which happened from DOS to a windows operating system or, as far as another field is concerned, to the switch from analog to digital camera. This doesn’t mean that users have become better or more conscious in using the computer; but the simplification of the products has led much more people into a digital phase by covering the gap (often primarily generational).
Despite this simplicity very often some people continue in “damaging” because they surfed the different menus and (surely not voluntarily) have altered the configuration of the device, with all the resulting problems.
In its mode of use, Praim Agile offers a similar environment to the smartphone, while also solving the problems of its configuration and invariability. In this way, the user can only access the resources assigned to him while the resource and environment configuration is left to the administrator user.
The interface is simple and very straightforward: few but useful are the actions available to the user. On the one hand, you can start multiple resources available on your PC; on the other hand, the administrator can make the device available to the user (i.e. monitor resolution) without the complication of the typical control panel. The paradigm changes completely, no longer the metaphor of the desktop with all its complications but the metaphor of the applications. The resources/applications (configured by the administrator) are easily accessible and a single click allows them to boot. There is no longer the task bar, the application already runned will be available by clicking the icon again. The user’s control panel is simplified and the administrator configures the access permissions to the user himself.
There are many ways to use the software:
- In a pure VDI environment with access to single virtual desktops, Agile allows you to lock down the device leaving the user the ability to configure it in a very simple way; the access to the only available resource is click-through or can be automatically connected at the PC boot.
- The typical browsing kiosk with a browser accessing a site (internal or external) is easily configurable. The device/PC desktop will not be accessible and the administrator can also completely close the access to user parameters. On a Praim thin client with write filter enabled, the firmware itself will remain unchanged and a simple restart of the device will restore it to a consistent state.
- In a local and published application environment (Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop, VMware, RDWeb App), the single resource will not require its own infrastructure access client, but it will be offered within the simplified Agile interface; the access to published applications will be homogeneous and integrated with respect to possible infrastructures. Agile becomes a kind of container and launcher of applications that are independent from the infrastructure on which they are published.
Application areas these modes of use are also numerous:
- Bank branches (counter, back office, information kiosks);
- Industrial production areas (workstations with or without touchscreen, totems, warehouse, administrative offices, …);
- Service companies (kiosks, administrative offices, warehouses, call centers, support offices, …);
- Manufacturing companies (workstations);
- Healthcare (first aid stations, administrative offices, warehouses, …);
- Telecommunications companies (call centers, back office employees, administrative employees, …)
Agile is totally manageable through the management software. This implies for the administrator the ability to distribute the desired configuration to multiple devices in a simplified and fast way.
No more excuses, make your PC as simple as a smartphone!